By William Desmond
Read or Download Cynics (Ancient Philosophies) PDF
Best greek & roman philosophy books
The technology known as 'harmonics' was once one of many significant highbrow corporations of Greek antiquity. Ptolemy's treatise seeks to take a position it with new clinical rigour; its constantly subtle procedural self-awareness marks it as a key textual content within the historical past of technology. This e-book is a sustained methodological exploration of Ptolemy's venture.
It's challenging to overestimate the significance of the paintings of Augustine of Hippo, either in his personal interval and within the next historical past of Western philosophy. until eventually the 13th century, whilst he can have had a competitor in Thomas Aquinas, he was once crucial thinker of the medieval interval. lots of his perspectives, together with his concept of the simply warfare, his account of time and eternity, his knowing of the need, his tried solution of the matter of evil, and his method of the relation of religion and cause, have persevered to be influential as much as the current time.
This is often the 1st quantity of a groundbreaking statement on probably the most very important works of old philosophy, the Enneads of Plotinus—a textual content that shaped the foundation of Neoplatonism and had a deep impact on early Christian proposal and medieval and Renaissance philosophy. This quantity covers the 1st 3 of the six Enneads, in addition to Porphyry's lifetime of Plotinus, a record within which Plotinus’s student—the collector and arranger of the Enneads—introduces the thinker and his paintings.
According to a perception of analyzing Order brought and built in his Plato the instructor: The challenge of the Republic (Lexington; 2012) and The Guardians in motion: Plato the trainer and the Post-Republic Dialogues from Timaeus to Theaetetus (Lexington; 2016), William H. F. Altman now completes his examine of Plato’s so-called “late dialogues” by means of exhibiting that they contain those who depict the trial and demise of Socrates.
- Augustine's City of God (Cambridge Critical Guides)
- Pharmakon: Plato, Drug Culture, and Identity in Ancient Athens
- "Cato Peripateticus" – stoische und peripatetische Ethik im Dialog: Cic. "fin." 3 und der Aristotelismus des ersten Jh. v. Chr. (Xenarchos, Boethos und ... Literatur und Geschichte) (German Edition)
- Quis maritus salvetur?: Untersuchungen zur Radikalisierung des Jungfräulichkeitsideals im 4. Jahrhundert (Patristische Texte und Studien) (German Edition)
- Das Bildungs- und Erziehungsideal Quintilians nach der Institutio oratoria (German Edition)
Additional resources for Cynics (Ancient Philosophies)
Cynics (Ancient Philosophies) by William Desmond