By Bernard Lightman
- Provides a single-volume evaluation of present scholarship within the heritage of technology edited by means of one of many best figures within the field
- Features 40 essays by means of major foreign students offering an summary of the most important debates and advancements within the historical past of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper old contextualization in the field
- Helps speak and combine views from the heritage of technology with different parts of old inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western subject matters that are built-in in the course of the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in keeping with key analytic different types that mirror new techniques within the field
Read or Download A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
What technology bargains the arts examines a few of the deep difficulties dealing with the learn of tradition. It makes a speciality of the excesses of postmodernism, but in addition recognizes critical issues of postmodernism's most harsh critics. in brief, Edward Slingerland argues that during order for the arts to growth, its students have to take heavily contributions from the typical sciences - and specific study on human cognition - which reveal that any separation of the brain and the physique is completely untenable.
What do nylon stockings and atomic bombs have in universal? DuPont. The chemical enterprise of DuPont de Nemours pioneered the improvement of either nylon and plutonium, enjoying a massive function within the upward thrust of mass intake and the emergence of the infamous "military-industrial advanced. " during this attention-grabbing account of the lives and careers of Du Pont’s chemical engineers, Pap A.
Technology, expertise and old fiction - brief tales - 27 archival illustrationsIn the zeitgeist of the Forties -1950sWorld conflict (WWII), nuclear power, house exploration
In Fungible lifestyles Aihwa Ong explores the dynamic global of state of the art bioscience study, supplying severe insights into the complicated methods Asian bioscientific worlds and cosmopolitan sciences are entangled in a tropical atmosphere brimming with the specter of emergent illnesses. At biomedical facilities in Singapore and China scientists map genetic variations, ailment hazards, and biomarkers, mobilizing ethnicized "Asian" our bodies and health and wellbeing info for genomic examine.
- Science in Environmental Policy: The Politics of Objective Advice (Politics, Science, and the Environment)
- The Oxford Handbook of the History of Physics (Oxford Handbooks)
- An Alchemical Quest for Universal Knowledge: The ‘Christian Philosophy’ of Jan Baptist Van Helmont (1579-1644) (Universal Reform: Studies in Intellectual History, 1550-1700)
- Lost Enlightenment: Central Asia's Golden Age from the Arab Conquest to Tamerlane
Additional info for A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) by Bernard Lightman