By Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar
- Discusses the lifetime of Socrates and key philosophical doctrines linked to him
- Covers the total variety of Socratic experiences from the traditional international to modern ecu philosophy
- Examines Socrates’ position within the greater philosophical traditions of the Hellenistic international, the Roman Empire, the Arabic global, the Renaissance, and modern Europe
- Addresses interdisciplinary matters resembling Socrates and Nietzsche, Socrates and psychoanalysis, and representations of Socrates in art
- Helps readers to appreciate the that means and value of Socrates around the ages
Read Online or Download A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
The technological know-how known as 'harmonics' used to be one of many significant highbrow firms of Greek antiquity. Ptolemy's treatise seeks to take a position it with new clinical rigour; its constantly refined procedural self-awareness marks it as a key textual content within the heritage of technological know-how. This publication is a sustained methodological exploration of Ptolemy's venture.
It really is tough to overestimate the significance of the paintings of Augustine of Hippo, either in his personal interval and within the next historical past of Western philosophy. until eventually the 13th century, while he can have had a competitor in Thomas Aquinas, he was once an important thinker of the medieval interval. lots of his perspectives, together with his idea of the simply struggle, his account of time and eternity, his knowing of the desire, his tried answer of the matter of evil, and his method of the relation of religion and cause, have endured to be influential as much as the current time.
This is often the 1st quantity of a groundbreaking statement on probably the most very important works of historic philosophy, the Enneads of Plotinus—a textual content that shaped the root of Neoplatonism and had a deep impact on early Christian proposal and medieval and Renaissance philosophy. This quantity covers the 1st 3 of the six Enneads, in addition to Porphyry's lifetime of Plotinus, a record within which Plotinus’s student—the collector and arranger of the Enneads—introduces the thinker and his paintings.
In keeping with a notion of analyzing Order brought and constructed in his Plato the instructor: The main issue of the Republic (Lexington; 2012) and The Guardians in motion: Plato the trainer and the Post-Republic Dialogues from Timaeus to Theaetetus (Lexington; 2016), William H. F. Altman now completes his research of Plato’s so-called “late dialogues” by means of displaying that they comprise those who depict the trial and demise of Socrates.
- Aristotle and Plotinus on the Intellect: Monism and Dualism Revisited
- Pontano’s Virtues: Aristotelian Moral and Political Thought in the Renaissance (Bloomsbury Studies in the Aristotelian Tradition)
- Priscian: Answers to King Khosroes of Persia (Ancient Commentators on Aristotle)
- Philoponus: On Aristotle Categories 1–5 with Philoponus: A Treatise Concerning the Whole and the Parts (Ancient Commentators on Aristotle)
- Plotinus: An Introduction to the Enneads: An Introduction to the "Enneads"
Additional resources for A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)
A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) by Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar